Modern slavery is happening in Haringey but due to its hidden nature, it is difficult to know its true extent. However, it is estimated that there are at least 100,000 victims of modern slavery in the UK every year.
Modern slavery is the severe exploitation of other people for personal or commercial gain, it is all around us, but often just out of sight. Modern slavery can take many forms including:
- Sexual exploitation includes but is not limited to sexual exploitation and sexual abuse, forced prostitution and the abuse of children for the production of child abuse images/videos.
- Forced labour is when a person is coerced to work using violence or intimidation, or by more subtle means such as debt bondage. This form of modern slavery has been found in a number of different industries including manufacturing, agriculture, and hospitality.
- Domestic servitude involves a victim being forced to work in usually private households, usually performing domestic chores and childcare duties. Their freedom may be restricted and they may work long hours often for little or no pay, often sleeping where they work.
- Criminal exploitation is the exploitation of a person to commit a crime, such as pick-pocketing, shop-lifting, cannabis cultivation, drug trafficking and other similar activities that are subject to penalties and imply financial gain for the trafficker.
It is estimated that there are at least 100,000 victims of modern slavery in the UK. Modern slavery is happening in Haringey and could even be happening on your own doorstep.
Spotting the signs
Someone in modern slavery might:
- Appear to be under the control of someone else and reluctant to interact with others
- Not have personal identification on them
- Have few personal belongings, wear the same clothes every day or wear unsuitable clothes for work
- Not be able to move around freely
- Be reluctant to talk to strangers or the authorities
- Appear frightened, withdrawn, or show signs of physical or psychological abuse
- Dropped off and collected for work always in the same way, especially at unusual times, ie very early or late at night
How to refer a potential victim
If you believe you might have identified a potential victim of modern slavery, get in touch with:
Modern Slavery Coordinator – Nadia Burrell:
Other contact points:
- Contact the Haringey Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) to report a concern about a child (under 18): 020 8489 4470
- Out of hours contact: 020 8489 1000
- Contact the Haringey First Response Team to report a concern about an adult: 020 8489 1400 or email email@example.com
- Modern slavery helpline: 08000 121 700