Salary: £90,000 – £100,000
Contract: Permanent, Full time
Responsible to: Executive Director of Property Services
Homes for Haringey have an exciting opportunity for an experienced senior manager in repairs and maintenance, with experience of service delivery in social housing or local government, as our Director of Repairs and Maintenance. This is a key role in Haringey’s housing service leading a large in-house repairs team with responsibility for meeting our resident’s expectations in delivering a high quality, efficient, customer focused repairs service.
You must have experience managing large budgets, sub-contractors, problem solving, as well as being a proactive impowering leader. You will need a customer focused approach, with a real drive and commitment to adding value to the team.
In return you will receive a:
- Generous package of £90k – £100k
- 36 days holiday entitlement
- 23% pension contribution
- Interest free season ticket
And many more perks and discounts
Skills and Experiences
- To deliver a high-quality repairs and maintenance (including voids) service to the residents of Homes for Haringey meeting organisational customer satisfaction and operational targets.
- To ensure that a positive Health and Safety culture exists and all relevant legislation especially the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and related Approved Codes of Conduct are adhered to by staff and contractors.
- Working with the Executive Director of Property Services and other senior directorate staff, to develop the company’s strategy for the Repairs service including maximising the in-house delivery model where it offers value for money and other service benefits.
- To be accountable for all activities and spend related to delivery of an effective repairs across the property portfolio, including residential and non-residential buildings.
- To ensure that procurement, negotiation, establishment and on-going performance management of external contractors used to deliver the Homes for Haringey repairs service meets all regulatory, corporate and performance standards.
- To use analytics to drive performance improvements.
- To undertake robust financial and budget management and monitoring to ensure that services are delivered within budget and can demonstrate value for money.
Strategic and Corporate Leadership
- A member of the senior leadership team, proactively contributes to collective organisational leadership, providing an expert view on property repairs.
- Setting high quality standards around repairs service delivery and value for money.
- Participate as needed on the emergency out of hours rota.
Compliance and Control
- Develop a robust and comprehensive framework to co-ordinate and deliver all required repair works across the company’s property portfolio.
- Ensure that spending decisions for repairs are made within a robust risk assessment framework.
People and Collaboration
- Deliver a style of leadership that supports VFM and excellence; is solutions focused; and evidence based decision-making, through coaching, empowerment and accountability.
- Develop a planning and delivery framework that takes a longer-term view.
- Ensure an effective approach to change that can get people on board, so that staff are enthused about their contributions and can see their impact and value.
- Contribute to building effective relationships between the ALMO and Council, ensuring high levels of engagement.
- Ensure that strategies and action plans, as well as delivery vehicles such as work programmes and contracts are closely monitored providing regular reporting to be accountable for delivery, viability and performance.
- Deliver robust procurement and on-going management of external contractors and suppliers, ensuring they add value, support the delivery of our commercial and performance objectives and that they are effectively and robustly managed.
Experience and Knowledge
- Proven senior or director level track record in ensuring fire and building safety across a large and complex property portfolio.
- Extensive knowledge of legislation, compliance and regulatory obligations in respect of repair services.
- A track record in delivering transformation in a repairs services setting including substantial experience of managing direct labour organisations and Trade Union relationships.
- Extensive experience of developing robust reporting and data frameworks and using trade software packages to ensure effective repair services.
- Substantial experience of contract management, holding external contractors to account for performance and VFM.
- Significant experience of programming complex repair works, ensuring efficiency, and being aware of customer preferences.
- Experience of working to a Board or with elected members would be an advantage.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to engage effectively with all levels including internal and external stakeholders.
- High level of skills in strategic and analytical thinking, including budget accountability.
- High quality written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to tailor to a variety of audiences.
Homes for Haringey are an Arm’s Length Management Organisation (ALMO) of London Borough of Haringey. We are firmly committed to working collaboratively towards building a spirit of team working and a supportive one culture in which innovation is encouraged and individuals can thrive.
The council has recently made the decision to review the future of the ALMO, however, we want to reassure you that regardless of the final decision, this role is a vital part of the business.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
For further information regarding the role please contact us on HFHRecruitment@homesforharingey.org
You will need to provide a CV and a Supporting Statement to be considered for this vacancy.
The closing date for completed applications will be Sunday 14th March 2021.